Thursday, March 22, 2018

Tangling with Shading

When I was creating this drawing, I was thinking of different patterns that look much better when they're shaded. There are some patterns that are detailed enough where it doesn't exactly matter if they are shaded. The patterns I chose this time have gaps or overlap so the shading really adds dimension to the drawing.

Another thing that shading does is help to cover up small imperfections that happened while drawing. The shading draws your eyes away from those imperfections so you can enjoy the drawing as a whole.

I used a very basic mechanical pencil and a blending stump to shade this drawing. Shading this way is easy and is sometimes frowned upon by those in the art community. Most prefer a more technical way of shading such as crosshatching. In my opinion, to use crosshatching in a tangle, takes away from the beautiful patterns that were created.

Here is the drawing for today:

No comments:

Post a Comment