Thursday, March 15, 2018

Sharpie Tangle Bookmarks - Cutting My Art

This freeform tangle I created with Sharpie and Bic Markers is a very popular video on my channel with over 500,000 views. It's one of my favorite tangles that I've done. It took maybe 2 or 3 hours to draw. I like this one a lot because I didn't overthink this drawing at all. I put colors together that probably shouldn't go together. I didn't think about shading or creating depth. Honestly it was a very simple and free tangle.

What's funny about this video is that I did cut this drawing into some bookmarks and the comments really reflected horror in me doing this. I am not one to become attached to my drawings and I knew this one was going to be cut up when I started it. Although I did like the final look of the drawing, I didn't feel upset when I cut it up for bookmarks.

There's only a few drawings that I feel any kind of emotional attachment to. My daughter asked me one time how I would feel if my drawings all caught fire or were stolen and I told her I would be grateful I no longer had to find a place to store them all. I draw because I like to draw. I don't really care about the end result which is why I sell, abandon or give away a lot of my original art. I still have several boxes of original artwork that I keep in my closet. With 4 books and 500 videos, that's a lot of art! So, cutting them up and re-purposing them is not a big deal to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment