Thursday, March 8, 2018

Pretty Purple Mandala - Derwent Pencils

This mandala is actually a Zendala and was created using my Staedtler compass with a black Sharpie and my Derwent Coloursoft pencils. The colored pencils were a recent purchase and I was looking for a way to experiment with them a little bit. These are my favorite colored pencils I've ever worked with. They blend nicely and have a really good coverage unlike some less expensive colored pencils. Sometimes I think paying a lot for art supplies isn't really necessary but when it comes to colored pencils, I really recommend investing in a set that is going to be a little pricier.

Now that I've worked with these pencils for over 3 years now, I have found other techniques with these pencils that yield better results than what you will see in this video. For example using a blending marker will help the pencils blend together flawlessly.

This Zendala is one I am very happy with. There's a red and orange mandala that was very similar to this purple one that I didn't record the drawing. Here is a photo of that mandala and the video of the purple one.

No comments:

Post a Comment