Thursday, February 8, 2018

How I Blend My Sharpies

Blending Sharpie markers without any type of alcohol is a technique I figured out on my own. I remember looking at videos showing Copic blending and at some point I realized that Copic markers and Sharpie markers are both alcohol markers. So I wondered if I could create the same effect with my Sharpies.

It took some time, and I'll admit it was a frustrating process until I figured it out, but once I figured out how to blend Sharpies I had a whole new way of coloring my tangles and doodles. It was probably one of the most exciting times in my entire drawing career.

So why didn't I just buy Copic or PrismaColor markers? Well, they are expensive! I knew that I liked the way the blending looked, but what I couldn't get over was the cost of these markers. Back in 2013 there weren't as many inexpensive options for alcohol markers. I also knew that this type of coloring wasn't something I was going to use in every piece of art I create so investing in expensive markers wasn't something I was interested in.

Since this drawing, I do have a set of inexpensive alcohol markers and more than a handful of Copic and PrismaColor markers. Although I do like these markers, and the blending process is much easier than with Sharpies, I find myself using the Sharpie method more often than not. In my opinion, Sharpies have a much bolder look than other alcohol markers and I like the bold look.

Two tips I have for blending Sharpie markers is that the markers need to be new or close to it. Using a dry marker makes it difficult or impossible to blend. The next tip I have is to work in small sections without allowing the layers to dry. Allowing the layers to dry, makes it very difficult to blend the Sharpie. It will take some practice so keep trying and don't give up!




No comments:

Post a Comment