Sunday, February 22, 2015

Try & Try Again

In February 2013 I had this "brilliant" idea. I wanted a circular drawing with a  string going through it. On one side of the string would be color and the other side would be shaded. I had a very clear vision of what I wanted to do but it took three tries to get it right. The first one is done in Sharpie and pencil. I knew I wasn't  going to be happy with this as I was drawing it. I didn't really want it to be just gray in the selected area, I wanted a very muted color. Unfortunately, I didn't have watercolor brushes at the time so I couldn't accomplish that look. I will say that looking back on these three pieces, this first one is my favorite. It may not be exactly what I was looking for at the time, but I like the colored portion of the drawing.

The middle one was just an epic fail. This was going along with the same idea but I tried multiple circles and used pastel for color. I uploaded this video only because I spent too long on the drawing/video to not post it. Plus, I really wanted to show my attempts at this.

The third one was my original idea. It came out how I imagined. I used watercolors and I had the muted color. The thing I don't like about it is the actual drawing. It's not very technical. I considered this project complete because I reached the coloring aspect I was looking for from the beginning, but I was never completely happy.

If I were to try this again I would do a drawing similar to the first with the gray portion like the watercolor version. The point of me discussing this is that I want to share how important it is to keep trying. If you have an idea, run with it and keep trying until you reach the desired look. It may take several attempts, but you'll get it eventually.

Three videos today!

No comments:

Post a Comment